Arrow IconFor advertiser information contact us or view our advertising information
Your Local Guide
Contact Details
Tel:
Sponsored Adverts

c/o Midsomer Norton South Station
Silver Street
Midsomer Norton
Nr Bath
Somerset
BA3 2AT

The Somerset & Dorset Railway

 The station was built in 1873 for the opening of the “Bath extension” single line on 20th July 1874. Situated 400ft up in the Mendip Hills and overlooking the town (then village) of Midsomer Norton, the station, in Silver Street was 12 ½ miles to Bath Green Park station terminus and was beside a bridge which carried the steeply inclined 1 in 50 railway over the road. 
 
The line was doubled in 1886 when the bridge was replaced and a signal box erected. Nearby, connected to the station by rail, was Norton Hill Colliery mine in the north Somerset coalfield, now but a distant memory. The goods yard closed on 15th June 1964 and the passenger station closed completely with the rest of the Somerset & Dorset system on 6th March 1966. The site is being restored to its fine 1950’s condition to include a new double track with goods’ sidings to turn it into a working steam museum.